Rated 4.83 out of 5 based on 6 votes
- 6 x chicken thighs
- 20 g fresh tumeric (roughly chopped)
- 1 x lemongrass (white part roughly chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 x long red chilli (roughly chopped)
- 1 x thumb sized piece of ginger (roughly chopped)
- 3 Tbls fish sauce
- 60 g palm sugar
- 1/4 x red cabbage (finely shredded)
- 1/4 x green cabbage (finely shredded)
- 1 x green mango (finely sliced)
- 2 x cucumber (de-seeded and finely sliced)
- 1 x carrot (finely sliced ribbons)
- 1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 bunch mint (leaves picked)
- 1/2 bunch garlic chives (finely sliced)
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts (crushed)
- 55 g palm sugar
- 2 Tbls tamarind puree
In a food processer combine tumeric, lemongrass, garlic, chilli, and ginger and process to a coarse paste. Add palm sugar, fish sauce and 1/2 cup of neutral flavoured oil and pulse further.
Marinade the chicken thighs in paste (cut in half) for a minimum of a few hours.
In a large bowl combine cabbages, green mango, cucumber, carrot, cherry tomatoes, herbs and roasted peanuts (reserving some of the peanuts to garnish).
If you have a four burner BBQ I recommend cooking marinaded chicken via the following method: Heat BBQ to its hottest with just the burners sitting under the bar grill plate. Cook chicken thighs on bar grill for a couple of minutes each side until slightly charred. Transfer to a wire rack placed on the flat grill plate (two burners sitting underneath should not be on), close BBQ lid and cook for a further 10-12 minutes. This will ensure the chicken does not burn or dry out.
While resting the chicken combine 55g of palm sugar with tamarind puree. Add a little water to thin out, ensuring palm sugar is dissolved. Toss through salad.
To serve place chicken and salad on a long platter and garnish with chopped chilli, garlic chives, roasted peanuts and wedges of lime.
Leave a Review
Looks very delicious and must be very yummy.I like it.
Looking at that photo made me really hungry! I like the ingredients that you’ve used in this recipe. Great for entertaining and great summer recipe.
Yum this is my kinda meal! What a fantastic recipe!
Perfect for a hot summer’s evening….. add several cold ones and I’m in heaven!
The chicken is so succulent. A great dish!!
This was delicious and thank you, Stuart, for inspiring me to grow my own turmeric x