Rated 5 out of 5 based on 1 votes
- 1 Tbls oil
- 500 g gravy beef (or chuck steak), cubed
- 2 x cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x brown onions, finely diced
- 3/4 cups pearl barley
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 1/2 L water
- 1 x bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 x medium potatoes, cut into 1cm dice
- 2 x medium carrots, cut into 1cm dice
- 2 x medium zucchini, cut into 1cm dice
- 100 g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
In a large pot, add the oil and brown the beef in batches. Remove from pan.
Add onions and garlic and saute until onion has softened.
Add the beef, barley, stock, water, bay leaf, rosemary and thyme. Cover with the lid and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 hour or until the beef and barley are tender. Skim the fat occasionally from the top of the soup.
Add the diced vegetables and simmer covered for a further 25 min or until vegetables are soft. Remove the herbs and serve.
Garnish with parsley and serve with fresh bread.
*If you want to do this in your slow cooker – simply brown your meat, onions and garlic – add to your slow cooker along with remaining ingredients. Set to low for 6 hours.
*If you do this in your pressure cooker simple cook for 30 min on high
Be sure not to forget the bread…….
Leave a Review
Excellent for winter time.