Rated 4.92 out of 5 based on 6 votes
- 2 1/2 cups s.r. flour
- 2 Tbls caster sugar
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 70 g chilled butter - cubed
- 275 ml buttermilk
- 1 tspn vanilla bean paste
- 1 Tbls demerara sugar for sprinkling
• Sieve flour, caster sugar, baking powder and salt into a medium sized mixing bowl.
• Rub in the butter, using fingertips, until mix resembles breadcrumbs.
• Stir vanilla bean paste into the buttermilk in a measuring jug. Make a well in the flour mix and pour in. Using a knife, cut in the milk until mix is combined. Dough should be a little sticky. If too dry add more buttermilk.
• Tip dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a square approximately 3cm thick. Do not knead or overwork the dough or scones will be tough. Use hands to pat the surface flat.
• Use a 5cm (2 inch) cutter (dipped in flour to prevent sticking) to cut out 16 discs and arrange, close together, in a greased and floured square baking tin. Very gently form remaining dough together to cut out more discs.
• Brush tops of scones with buttermilk and sprinkle Demerara sugar over. Bake 200c (180 fan forced) for 15 – 17 min.
• Serve warm with your favourite jam (I used home-made blood orange jam) or even simply spread with a good quality Danish butter.
Leave a Review
best vanilla scone recipe ive ever tried and eaten !! 5 stars !!
Wonderful! The guys in my house ate it in one sitting!!!!
Delicious! I will be making these again
oh dear! one of the problems with looking through all the lovely recipes like this is I CAN”T EAT THEM! ahhhhhhh!
looks excellent though and I can imagine eating them which really doesn’t help lol
Yum – i will definitely be trying this recipe!