Rated 2.25 out of 5 based on 2 votes
- 3/4 cups pitted morello cherries, chopped
- 350 g dark chocolate, at least 60% cocoa
- 225 g butter
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2/3 cups plain flour
- 230 g coconut
- 5 x eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 Tbls cherry brandy
Preheat oven to moderate 180C. Brush a deep 9″ round cake tin with melted butter. Line base.
1. Melt chocolate and butter in a medium pan over low heat. Stir in warm water. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
2. Combine flour and coconut in bowl.
3. Using electric beaters, beat yolks and sugar in a large bowl until thick and pale yellow. Using a metal spoon stir in chocolate mixture until combined.
4. Fold flour, coconut and cherries and cherry brandy into egg and chocolate mixture.
5. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, fold into mixture.
6. Spread mixture in prepared tin, smooth surface. Bake for 1 hours or until skewer comes out clean. Leave in tin 20 minutes before cooling on rack.
If you don’t want to use alcohol reserve some of the liquid from the cherry jar. If you want to be more generous with the alcohol you can.
For other flavours exchange coconut for almond meal, and cherries and cherry brandy for complimentary fruits and alcohols.
For a really decadent cake, ice with a chocolate ganache.
Leave a Review
This is horrible.