Rated 5 out of 5 based on 1 votes
- 4 Tbls ghee
- 1 cup shallots sliced
- 1 x onion, chopped
- 1 x thumb sized ginger, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 tspn chilli powder
- 1 tspn turmeric powder
- 1 tspn cumin powder
- 2 x tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 Tbls chopped mint leaves
- 1 Tbls salt
- 1.5 kg chicken pieces
- 3 x cardamoms
- 1 x cinammon stick
- 4 Tbls plain yoghurt
1. Heat ghee in wok and fry shallots till golden – set aside.
2. In same oil, brown chopped onion, garlic, and ginger. Add 2 Tbs water to spice powders to form a paste and add to wok to fry over a low fire till fragrant.
3. Add tomatoes, mint and salt and cook till softened. Add chicken, cinnamon and cardamoms. Cook gently till meat is just cooked. Stir in yogurt and cook for 15 minutes more. Skim and reserve oil from sauce.
4. Fry ginger, garlic and shallots till golden brown. Add cinnamon, cloves and cardamoms. Add reserved oil and rice grains and fry till grains absorb oil. Transfer to a rice cooker.
5. Heat stock and add saffron and rose essence (if using). Add stock to rice cooker and cook until fully absorved.
6. Fluff rice with a fork and place chicken pieces in a well in the rice. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
7. Garnish with fried shallots and serve.