Rated 5 out of 5 based on 2 votes
- 800 ml coconut milk
- 3/4 cups maple syrup
- 1/2 cup pecans, roasted and chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 x egg yolks
- 1 x ice-cream maker
Serves: 6, Prep: 25-30 mins, Cool: up to 2hrs, Chill: up to 2hrs
Note: this mix freezes very quickly so make sure not to let the bowl for the ice-cream maker get too cold ahead of time, and stir the mix as it freezes to avoid ice forming due to the high water content of the coconut milk.
1. In a large bowl whisk together the egg yolks and set aside.
2. In a saucepan gently heat the maple syrup for five minutes, and then bring up to the boil for another five, all while stirring.
3. Drop the temperature and pour in the coconut milk and the salt and stir to combine, ensuring that the mix doesn’t boil. Mix for about another five minutes, bring almost to the boil and then remove.
4. Pouring in a gentle, steady stream, pour the coconut-maple mix into the egg yolks. Be sure to whisk this mix the whole time.
5. Pour this mixture back into the saucepan and return the saucepan to the heat, stirring gently. Be sure not to let this mix boil as you stir for another five minutes at least, until mix appears to be thickening and lightly coats the back of a metal spoon.
6. Remove from the heat, pour into a container with an easy pour lip or function and allow to cool to room temperature, a process which can be sped up using an ice-bath. Cover this mix and place in the fridge to cool completely, which can take up to two hours.
7. Pour into an ice-cream maker and make, as per ice-cream maker’s instructions, adding the pecans as it advises.
8. If you desire your ice-cream to be hard, then place it in an airtight container in a freezer for up to 2hrs, stirring every half an hour.
Leave a Review
XD Thank you for the lovely praise!
Nice! It looks delish that way as well!
Yum, and thank you for that incredibly lovely praise! That photo looks mouth-watering too! ^_^ And there’s nothing wrong with being a vanilla junkie, it’s a great flavour. ^_^
Yes please. Perfect for the dairy intolerant such as me.
:3 I was thrilled with the results myself because I can’t have lactose. ^_^