Rated 5 out of 5 based on 1 votes
- 3 x chorizo sausage
- 400 g skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 x large onion, chopped
- 2 x celery sticks, diced
- 3 x garlic cloves
- 3 x tomatoes (chopped)
- 200 g frozen peas
- 200 g frozen corn
- 1 x medium sweet potato
- 250 g red rice
- 750 ml boiling water
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley
- 1/2 x lemon
1. Cook the sweet potato in the microwave until it’s soft and cut into cubes
2. Cut the chicken breast and the chorizo into 2 cm cubes (I take the skin of the chorizo as it helps the flavours infuse)
3. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat and fry the chorizo for 2 minutes
4. Add the chicken cubes and continue frying until coloured all over
5. Remove the chorizo and chicken from the fan into a bowl and set aside
6. Add the onion, celery and garlic to the oil remaining in the pan, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are softened slightly.
7. Stir in the rice, tomatoes and thyme and add the chicken and chorizo. Pour in the water and bring back to the boil, stirring occasionally.
8. Add salt and black pepper to taste, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook gently for 25 minutes.
9. After 25 minutes add the peas, corn and sweet potato, re-cover and continue to simmer for a further 5-10 minutes until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed.
10. Squeeze the lemon and drizzle freely on the paella
11. Chop the parsley and sprinkle on top
12. Serve and enjoy
I like the red rice as it adds texture and it’s healthier but this can be done with white rice as well, just adjust the water quantity.
You can pretty much add whichever veggies you have lying around (capsicums, carrots, broccoli, green beans etc.), makes it more colourful and healthy.
If you’re a chilli lover, can add chopped chilli to step 6
Leave a Review
very healthy and….delicious!!