Rated 4 out of 5 based on 4 votes
- 2 cups plain flour
- 150 g butter (cubed)
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 Tbls ice cold water
- 1 x good squeeze lemon juice
- 10 x bacon rashers (cut into 5cm pieces)
- 1 x large brown onion (sliced)
- 1 Tbls chopped fresh parsley
- 10 x eggs
- 2-3 x large tomatoes
Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add water and lemon juice, mixing with a knife until of pastry consistency. Form into a ball, wrap in cling wrap and place in fridge until ready to use (at least half an hour).
Pre-heat oven to 180 C
Roll out 2/3 rds of pastry and line a greased flan tin/dish.
Fry bacon lightly and drain on paper towel. Fry onion slices in same pan until transparent & limp and remove from heat.
Place bacon in bottom of pastry case, evenly covering bottom. Break eggs on top of bacon. Pierce yolks with a small sharp knife. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle parsley over top then cover with a layer of tomato slices.
Roll out remaining pastry and cover pie. Brush with milk or egg wash (beaten egg) and bake for about 30 minutes (until pie is golden brown).
* photo is of individual egg & bacon pies. I used wholemeal plain flour to make pastry and cooked the pies in muffin tins. Reduce cooking time to 15-20 mins.
Leave a Review
I’m making this on Saturday…… and probably every day after that for the rest of my life!!!
What a great recipe! I love it! Hubby would so love these!