Rated 5 out of 5 based on 3 votes
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1.5 L water
- 1 x garlic clove
- 1 x bigger bay leaf
- 1 x brown onion ( peeled and studded with 2-3 whole cloves )
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 x red onion, sliced
- 2 x garlic cloves, crushed
- 350 g white cabbage (finely shredded )
- 250 g bacon or ham or salami ( fried and cut into small pieces )
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 1 pinch black pepper
1) Rinse the lentils under cold water and place in a large saucepan with the water and peeled garlic clove,bay leaf and studded onion.Bring to the boiling and cook for 10 minutes on high.Reduce the heat and simmer for another 15-20 minutes or until lentils is soft.Strain through sieve,remove the onion,garlic and bay leaf.
2) Heat oil in a large pan add the red onion,crushed garlic and cook …..1-2 minutes.Add cabbage and cook 3-5 minutes until cooked,but still crunchy.Stir in the cooked lentils,bacon or ham or salami ( it is up to you what you like it )Season and stir.Taste and see,if anything need to be added.
3) Serve room temperature or cold.