Rated 4 out of 5 based on 2 votes
- 115 g butter softened
- 186 g caster sugar
- 186 g self - raising flour
- 2 x large eggs
- 5 Tbls milk
- 1 x grated zest of 1 lemon.
- 1 x lemon syrup ingredients. (see below)
- 75 g icing sugar
- 1 1/2 x lemons, squeeze out the juice.
1.Pre-heat oven at 180c, (170c for fan oven), 350F.
2. Decide if you want to make drops or just a whole cake.
3. If making a cake lightly grease and line a 1kg/2lb loaf tin with baking paper. If using the silicone bakeware it is still best to line it as the sticky syrup added later can make it difficult to remove.
4. If making drops use a silicone muffin tray and just line the base using small circles of baking paper. No need to do the sides.
5. Measure out all ingredients (but not those used for the lemon syrup) place in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk or a wooden spoon until smooth.
6. Pour mix into prepared cake tin or muffin tray. Smooth the top level.
7. Place in the centre of the oven. 40-45mins for the loaf cake or 20-25mins for the drops. Times may vary for different ovens. Just look out for them turning golden and firm to touch.
8. Remove from the oven and stand the cake ,still in the tin/tray on a cooling rack.
Now it’s time to make the lemon Syrup.
9. Heat the icing sugar and lemon juice in a pan. Stirring gently until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid turns syrupy.
Back to the cake.
10. Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer and gently pour the syrup over the top. If you can wait that long leave until the cake is cold, turn out of the tin and decorate with sprinkled icing sugar and thin strips of lemon zest.
11. Alternatively you can serve it as a delicious warm dessert straight away. The loaf style cakes can be tricky to get out whilst still warm and may collapse slightly. The smaller drops are much easier to get out just loosen the edges with a blunt knife , remember to remove the baking paper and serve with cream, ice-cream, yoghurt or whatever takes your fancy. All are yummy. Enjoy!
Best eaten on the same day but will keep for 2 days.
Leave a Review
Love lemon.Love easy to make.