Rated 0 out of 5 based on 0 votes
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup self - raising flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour
- 125 g salted butter, chilled and chopped
- 1/3 cup castor sugar - for pastry
- 1 x egg (room temperature)
- 1.25 kg granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1/4 cup caster sugar - for apple filling
- 1/4 tspn ground cinnamon - masterfoods
- 2 tspn lemon juice
1. Place flours, butter and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and 1/4 cup cold water. Process until pastry just comes together. Turn pastry onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.\
2. Meanwhile, make apple filling: Place apples and 2/3 cup cold water in a baking classics saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until apples are tender. Drain. Return apples to pan. Stir in sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 3cm-deep, 20cm (base) round glass or ceramic pie dish.
4. Place two-thirds of the pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper. Roll out into a 30cm round. Line base and sides of prepared dish with pastry. Trim edges. Spoon in fapple filling and brush the edges with a little eggwhite. Place remaining pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper. Roll out until large enough to cover dish. Cover filling with pastry and press edges together. Trim excess.
5. Make 3 cuts in top for steam to escape. Brush with remaining eggwhite. Sprinkle with remaining caster sugar. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden. Serve with whipped cream. Enjoy!