Rated 4.58 out of 5 based on 6 votes
- 1 x free range chicken
- 2 x lemons
- 6 x florentine onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch salt & pepper
- 1 bunch marjoram
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bunch bay leaves
- 1 bunch wild fennel
1. Preheat oven to 200 Degrees Celsius.
2. Cut Florentine onions and lemons in half
3. Season the chicken from the inside by grinding salt and pepper into the cavity of the bird.
4. Stuff the chicken with half of the herbs, lemon and onions (leave the rest to bake with the chicken in the dish)
5. Tie legs of the chicken together and place in baking dish.
6. Slice the leftover lemons and add them to the dish with garlic cloves and the rest of the herbs
7. Place in the oven. Position the legs of the chicken forward first to protect the breasts when cooking.
8. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and season again with salt and pepper.
9. Cook for 80-90 minutes
10. Carve chicken and place on plates with onions and baby fennel.
11. Pour roasting juices over the chicken.
Leave a Review
I will try.I never cook the chicken this way.Thank you for recipe.
mmmm can’t go past a good roast!
I cooked this last night and it was fantastic! Unfortunately the local grocer didn’t have any wild fennel so I just used baby fennel and also added some sage – it was delicious and so simple to make, thanks Mark!
Lucious. Thank you, this is an improvement on the fennel chicken I’ve been serving and chefs served it here in the States stop talking, start moaning when they eat it.