Rated 5 out of 5 based on 1 votes
- 1 kg lamb mince
- 5 x cloves garlic
- 2 x onions
- 4 Tbls ras el hanout (moroccan spice
- 1 tspn ground cinnamon
- 1 tspn ground cumin
- 1 tspn paprika
- 11/2 bunches flat leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 11/2 bunches coriander leaves (finely chopped
- 1 x egg
- 1 x chilli, cut in half and deseeded
- 100 g pine nuts (toasted)
- 100 g currants
- 1 x cinnamon quill
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 x 400g tin of diced tomatoes
- 1 x lemon
I would normally cook and prepare this dish in a tagine, but a good frypan works just as well, but need a frypan with a lid.
1. Combine minced lamb, 3 minced cloves of garlic, 1 onion, ras el hanout, (herbs: parsley, coriander and mint), chilli, 1 egg, currahnts and toasted pine nuts in large bowl, season with salt and pepper and use your hands to mix the ingredients together.
2. Using wet hands, roll mixture into 3cm balls and refrigerate to set them (30 mins should do the trick)
3. Heat ½ olive oil in a large frying pan, add meatballs and cook,turning occasionally over a medium heat until browned evenly all over. Remove from pan and set aside.
4. In base of the tagine or frypan add additional olive oil, heat. Add remaining 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 onion, cumin and cinnamon, cook until onions are translucent and the herbs have released their fragrance.
5. Add the diced tomatoes, cinnamon quill and the meat balls and simmer with the lid on. If the liquid looks a bit dry add some lemon juice here.
6. Season with salt and pepper. If you prefer it spicier you can add additional chilli
7. Cook on a very low heat for 1 hour
1 cup of greek style yoghurt, 2 tablespoons of tahini, 2 crushed garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon of lemon, chopped mint and salt & pepper.
Add all ingredients together and stir until smooth
Quinao – cook following the packets suggestion.
For serving… Serve meat balls either in tagine or serving ball, serve with cous cous or quinao, serve yoghurt sauce on the side of the meat ball dish. The tartness of the yoghurt sauce compliments the meatball dish.