Rated 4.7 out of 5 based on 5 votes
- 2/3 x cup caster sugar
- 4 x egg yolks
- 1/3 x cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2/3 x cup plain flour (sifted)
- 4 x egg whites
- 1 x tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 x tablespoon of plain flour for dusting cake pan
- 2-3 x tablespoon of icing sugar for decorating cake
- 2 x lemon zests (grated zests of 2 lemons)
- 2 x pinches of salt (one for egg yolk batter and the other for egg whites)
1. Preheat over to 150 degree celsius.
2. Generously grease cake pan with butter and dust with plain flour. Turn cake pan over and tap gently to remove excess plain flour. This prevents the cake from sticking to the cake pan. Rest prepared cake pan in the fridge until required. Alternatively, line cake pan with grease proof pan.
3. In a mixing bowl, gradually beat egg yolks. Add caster sugar in thirds and continue beating until mixture thickens and is pale to form a ribbon. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt. Beat for a moment or two until mixture is light and foamy. Then beat in the sifted flour.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and salt together until soft peaks form. Then add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Stir a third of the egg whites into the egg yolk batter and delicately fold. Return egg yolk mixture into the egg whites and continue to delicately fold.
5. Remove prepared cake pan from the fridge and immediately pour mixture into prepared pan and bake in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Insert a skewer (cake tester) into cake, skewer should come out clean if cake is cooked.
6. Cool cake on wire rack.
7. Dust with sifted icing sugar just before serving.
Leave a Review
Yum i love citrus cakes! I will certainly be giving this a go!
Thanks Megan! Enjoy the cake!
I must try this. !!!!!!