Rated 5 out of 5 based on 2 votes
- 1 bunch rhubarb cleaned and then chopped into 5cm pieces (stewed rhubarb and apple)
- 3 x golden delicious apples peeled sliced and cored (stewed rhubarb and apple)
- 1 cup castor sugar (stewed rhubarb and apple)
- 2 cups water approximately (stewed rhubarb and apple)
- 250 g unsalted butter (room temperature) (cake)
- 1 cup castor sugar (cake)
- 5 x free range organic eggs (cake)
- 2 cups self raising flour (cake)
- 1 cup almond meal (cake)
- 2 tspn cinnamon (cake)
- 1/2 cup slivered almond toasted (cake)
Stewed Rhubarb and apple:
Place all of these into a saucepan and cook over a moderate heat until the fruit is tender and the sugar dissolved. Then set aside.
Preheat the oven to 160 degrees. Line the base of a 22 cm spring tin and butter the sides.
Place butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Sift the flour and almond meal and add to the mixture. Then add three cups of the rhubarb and apple compote, one cup at a time. Leaving one cup of rhubarb and apple aside to decorate the top of the cake.
Pour the mixture in the lined cake tin and then decorate with the left over rhubarb and apple and sprinkle with almonds.
Bake for one hour. Allow to rest and then serve while warm with creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream.
Leave a Review
yummy.I always use free range organic eggs,because I keep chickens.It is very handy.
so i just made this cake but i used three oversized f/r eggs and left out the almond meal cause i had none. also mixed in half wholemeal flour. the batter consistency was thick but light and the final cake turned out very well. now for the taste test…. yes great recipe. thanks so much for sharing it