Rated 4.59 out of 5 based on 11 votes
- 1x200 g chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 560 g chicken wings,cut in half at the joint, discard wing tips
- 1 cup fresh coconut juice
- 1 x long red chilli, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 x long green chilli, cut into 2cm pieces
- 3 x spring onions, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 x lemongrass, white part only, chopped (for the marinade)
- 2 x shallots, chopped (for the marinade)
- 2 x cloves garlic, chopped (for the marinade)
- 1 Tbls sesame oil (for the marinade)
- 1 Tbls sugar (for the marinade)
- 2 Tbls fish sauce (for the marinade)
- 1 tspn turmeric powder (for the marinade)
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves, for garnish
- 2 Tbls rice bran oil
- 1 tspn chilli flakes or powder (for the marinade)
1. Process garlic, lemongrass and shallots in the food processor until finely chopped. Place the chicken in a large non-metallic bowl. Add all the marinade ingredients and mix using your hand until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
2. Heat oil in a wok or a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken pieces with the marinade and cook for 5-6 minutes or until browned. Add the chillies and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the coconut juice, stir and cover. Cook on high heat, stirring occasionally for 6-8 minutes until the juice is reduced by half. Add the spring onion. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Leave a Review
We really enjoyed this recipe. I love the sweetness from the coconut juice. Everything is balanced. Delicious!
Love it! So delicious!
beautiful and delicious
I just love what you did with the recipe Sarah. Cooking in coconut juice definitely gives it that added sweetness and flavour of the coconut, and the idea of spicing it up gave it that extra kick. Well done, I loved it. You made the recipe even better!! So delicious.
Thanks so much for the recipe, Cuc. We love Vietnamese food.
Lemongrass chicken – delicious! I’m actually a big fan of the flavour of lemongrass, particularly in combination with chill.
Beautiful authentic Asian flavors!!!