Rated 5 out of 5 based on 1 votes
- 75 g butter, chopped
- 2 cups sr flour
- 180 g unseasoned fetta
- 250 g cooked/ defrosted packet spinach, thawed and drained, with excess fluid removed.
- 3/4 cups milk
- 25 g dried chives
- 30 ml milk, for brushing
- 50 g butter, softened for serving.
1. Rub butter into the combined flour and pepper until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in fetta.
2. Combine spinach, milk and chives in a large jug and stir into dry ingredients with a table knife. Turn onto a lightly floured bench and knead only until mixture comes together and is smooth.
3. Pat mixture into a thick square, approximately 2cm thick (approximately 22cm x 22cm square) and cut into 9 squares with a sharp knife.
4. Arrange on a floured tray and brush the tops lightly with extra milk. Bake at 200°C for 18-20 minutes or until cooked and golden brown. Wrap in a clean tea towel for 5-10 minutes before serving warm with butter or accompanying a bowl of soup.
* Scones are best made and enjoyed on the same day.
* These scones make a wonderful accompaniment to hot soup during the winter months.
* Leftover scones can be individually wrapped and frozen and then reheated in a microwave for a few seconds before serving.
* Frozen spinach should have all free moisture squeezed out well before using.