Rated 4.92 out of 5 based on 6 votes
- 500 ml full cream milk
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 6 x egg yolks
- 1/3 cup caster sugar (for the custard)
- 1 x vanilla bean, cut in half and scrape the seeds
- 400 g strawberries, washed, hulled, cut in halves
- 1/3 cup caster sugar (for the puree)
- 2 Tbls fresh lemon juice
- 1 tspn pink food coloring
Makes 1 litre
1. Place a metal container in the freezer to chill. Process the strawberries in the food processor until smooth. Place the puree in a saucepan with caster sugar and lemon on medium heat. Bring to the boil. Simmer for 5-8 minutes until mixture thickens. Set aside to cool.
2. To make the custard, place the milk, cream, vanilla seeds and vanilla pod in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Set aside to cool slightly. Discard the vanilla pod.
3. Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick, pale and creamy. Gradually whisk in the cream mixture.
4. Transfer the mixture into a saucepan. Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the custard coats the back of the spoon. Add the strawberry puree and mix until combined. Set aside to cool. Add the pink food coloring and mix until combined (add a bit more food coloring for more intense color).
5. Churn the mixture in the ice-cream maker for 30-40 minutes. Pour mixture into the chilled metal container. Cover and freeze for a few hours or overnight.
Leave a Review
Delicious, creamy and full of flavor!
Sarah that looks so delicious and must be yummy to.I want try now.Very nice.
Smooth and creamy.. Devine!!
Thanks for your lovely feedback, Zana!
If only I could eat dairy… YUM
Gelato, yum! And what a great photo too!