Rated 0 out of 5 based on 0 votes
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries (can be fresh and can be a mix of your favourites)
- 10 g butter or shortening
- 2 1/2 x sheets puff pastry
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 1 x cinnamon stick
- 3 x egg yolks
- 2 x egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
This Custard and Berry Tart makes 8-10 servings
1. Prepare Berry Sauce by adding Berries and 1/3 cup sugar to a saucepan and cook on medium-high heat til reduced and sauce is starting to thicken. Then remove from heat and let cool back down to room temp.
2. Remove Puff Pastry sheets from freezer and allow to thaw so it is pliable. Coat a 8″ spring form cake pan with the butter. Then line the cake pan with the puff pastry, trimming edges to fit pan and pressing pastry into corners. Prick the bottom with a fork.
Set aside pan and other sheet of puff pastry until ready to cut (this will be used to lattice over the top)
3.heat oven to 180°C
4. While the oven is heating, prepare custard filling. Pour 1 3/4 cup of the milk into a medium-size saucepan and add the cinnamon stick. Bring milk to boiling point, then remove from heat and set aside (ensure your stirring the milk to prevent the milk solids from sticking to the bottom).
5.In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar until mixture turns light yellow and has a smooth texture. Add sifted flour and corn starch to the egg mixture and beat with a hand mixer on medium-high speed. Add the reserved 1/4 cup milk and continue to mix until smooth and creamy.
6. Remove cinnamon stick from milk. While stirring constantly, pour about a third of the warm milk into the egg mixture. Once milk has mixed thoroughly with eggs, slowly pour in the rest of the milk, while constantly stirring. Transfer the mixtureback to the saucepan and heat on medium, stirring continuously. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for just 30 seconds, (try not to stop stirring during this time otherwise you will scramble the eggs and have to start again). Until mixture starts to thicken, Then remove from heat immediately and pour into spring form pan with puff pastry crust.
7. Pour berry topping over custard filling and spread evenly. Cut the other pastry sheet into strips about 1 to 1.5-inches wide and lay across top in lattice pattern. lightly beat the egg whites in a small bowl. Brush beaten egg whites over top crust.
8. Place in pre-heated oven in middle rack. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.