Rated 4.45 out of 5 based on 10 votes
- 1 kg chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 3/4 cups light soy
- 3/4 cups sake
- 3/4 cups mirin
- 60 g brown sugar
- 2 Tbls molasses
- 1 x sachet of dashi powder disolved in 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbls roasted sesame seeds
This is a stand out favourite with the family, a great dish for the kids as they’ll love the slightly crunchy chicken with the sweetness of the Teriyaki glaze. It is also a great mid-weeker as its on the table in less than 20 minutes. You can use any mix of vegetables: carrots, broccoli, snow peas etc… I prepare large quantities of Teriyaki glaze and keep it in the freezer…. it’s great with anything: seafood, chicken, pork, red meat and stri fired vegetables. There is no comparison with pre-packaged Teriyaki sauce!
1. Teriyaki Glaze: Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan, bring to the boil and reduce by half or until a light syrup.
2. Slice thighs into 3cm pieces and dust with seasoned cornflour.
3. Slice the ligth green part of the spring onions into 2cm batons. Finely slice the dark green tops.
4. Shallow fry chicken in batches on a high heat for a 1-2 minutes each side. The aim is to achieve a crisp, browned exterior. The chicken will not be completely cooked through during the intitial frying. This will be done when all ingredients are combined.
5. Combine the chicken in a large fry pan or wok on a medium high heat. Add disolved dashi and sitr to coat the chicken. Cook for a further two minutes and then add the spring onion and 4 tablespoons of the Teriyaki Glaze. Cook for another few minutes, adding the sesame seeds once done.
6. Serve with steamed rice, enoki mushrooms and the sliced green tops of the spring onions.
Leave a Review
Looks great! Can’t wait to cook this
This is the first time I have made my own Teriyaki Sauce. Such a simple recipe, yet the taste is great.
Cooked this last night and it was AMAZING!
MMMM, lovely. Well done Stuart
Can’t wait to cook and eat this. Stuart is such a creative chef
Chicken Teriyaki – my favourite!!!!
Looks and tastes delicious. I love the tips Stuart gives,eg freezing the extra glaze and its use in a range of dishes. A perfect, quick family meal.
Loved this – easy to make and left over sauce for next time