Rated 4.5 out of 5 based on 6 votes
- 1 cup mountain blend rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 x chicken breasts
- 400 ml coconut milk (placed in fridge overnight)
- 1 Tbls palm sugar
- 1 x thumb sized piece of ginger
- 2 x coriander stems, roughly chopped
- 2 x spring onions, sliced
- 150 g snow peas, sliced lengthways (leave some whole if you like)
- 1 x cucumber, use a julienne peeler and peel down to the seeds
- 2 x carrots, again peel with the julienne peeler
- 1 x red chilli, julienned
- 1 handful coriander leaves
- 1 handful mint leaves
- 1 x lime
- 1 Tbls palm sugar crushed
- 1 Tbls water
- 1 splash reserved coconut cream (see number 3 in the method)
- 2 Tbls tom yum chilli paste
- 1 Tbls fish sauce
- 1 Tbls lime juice
1. Rinse the rice well, add to saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Once boiling, leave covered and reduce to a simmer for 35 minutes. After 35 minutes, turn off the heat and let the rice sit covered for 10 minutes. Then allow to cool.
2. Slice the chicken in half lengthways so they are even thicknesses. Add to a saucepan with the palm sugar, ginger and coriander stalks.
3. Open the coconut milk and scoop out the thick cream that has risen to the top, set the cream aside and add the milk to the saucepan with the chicken.
4. Bring the chicken to the boil and then simmer for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, remove from heat and sit covered for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes remove chicken and allow to cool.
5. For the dressing, combine the palm sugar and water and place over a medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
6. Once the sugar is dissolved add the coconut and tom yum chilli paste and simmer for 2 minutes.
7. Remove saucepan from heat and add the fish sauce and lime juice. Taste for the balance of salty, sweet, acidity and chilli.
8. Combine all the prepared salad into a bowl with the cooled rice. Use two forks (or clean hands) to shred the chicken into the bowl and mix well.
9. Just before you are ready to eat, add the dressing and mix through.
Leave a Review
I made this and it was amazing. Very refreshing and will definitely make it again.
Definitely a winner with this great meal
Brilliant dish. I love the texture and complex balance of flavours that Thailand is famous for. Delicious. Keep them coming!
I have eaten this Thai coconut chicken salad and it is very yum.
I love Thai food. This is a great meal!