Rated 5 out of 5 based on 1 votes
- 300 g firm tofu
- 1 x ginger (thumb size piece)
- 3 Tbls light soy sauce
- 1 Tbls rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup potato starch (can substitute for corn starch)
- 500 ml penaut oil
- 1 tspn sesame oil (optional)
- 1lrg sprig green shallot (spring onion)
- 1 x birdseye chilli (finely chopped)
- 1/2 x ginger (thumb size piece)
- 1 tspn lemon grass (paste)
- 1 tspn coriander, chopped
- 1 splash sesame oil
- 1 Tbls light soy sauce
- 2 Tbls brown vinegar
- 1 Tbls brown sugar
- 1 Tbls peanut oil
1. Cut Tofu into bite sized cubes and place in a non-reactive bowl
2. Peel and grate Ginger into same bowl
3. Add Soy Sauce and Rice wine Vinegar and mix to coat (be gentle not to break the Tofu up)
4. Cover marinade with cling wrap and place in fridge for minimum of 10 minutes, 30 minutes ideal, although if you want to marinate over night (good method for chicken karaage) only put 1 Tbls of soy in the marinate then add the rest before use to prevent the saltiness of the soy taking over.
5. Put Peanut oil and Sesame oil into a wok or deep fryer and heat to approx. 180°C
6. Remove Tofu from fridge, coat one last time with mixture then strain off the excess. On a plate put some of the potato starch to prevent the tofu sticking and to coat evenly, then place the Tofu on the plate and coat evenly with the potato starch, making sure all covered so it crisps nicely when cooked.
7. Fry the Tofu until a deep golden brown and place on a wire rack over paper towel to drain off the excess oil.
8.Finely chop Shallot, Birdseye chilli and Coriander and place in a bowl, grate and add Ginger, then add lemon grass paste, peanut oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, brown vinegar, brown sugar and mix well to form the sauce.
serve with a sticky rice, Asian style salad and Green Shallot Sauce
Hope you Enjoy
Leave a Review
Oh that looks and sounds delicous