Rated 4.88 out of 5 based on 4 votes
- 1 kg granny smith apples
- 60 g caster sugar
- 1-2 tspn lemon juice
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup self - raising flour
- 125 g unsalted butter( room temperature )
- 1 x eggs(lightly beaten just with fork) )
- 100 ml milk
- 200 g bread crumbs
- 70 g extra unsalted butter (room temperature
- 50 g extra caster sugar(for bread- crumbs )
- 1 x egg(for brushing strudel with 1 tbsp.of milk )
- 2 tspn cinnamon powder
- 2 handfuls sultanas
- 2 handfuls walnuts(broken to smaller pieces )
- 50 g extra unsalted butter (room temperature
1)In deeper pan melted butter(70 g) on stove on medium heat,add bread-crumbs,stir.Keep stirring until bread-crumbs is getting gold colour.Take off from stove,cool and add sugar(50 g)and mix well.
2)In a bowl mix plain flour,self raising flour,butter,egg and milk(100 ml),make dough.( no sugar don’t worry)
3)Apples wash,peel and grate on grater on biggest holes into a bowl.Put in lemon juice and sugar(60 g)mix.
4)Dust bench with flour,put dough on and with rolling pin roll out into shape rectangle approximately 40cm long,25cm wide and 5mm thick.Cover with half of the bread -crumbs(1cup) and spread half of the grated apples.Don’t squeeze the apples to much otherwise strudel will be to dry.Now dust it with half of cinnamon powder,add half of sultanas all over,half of walnuts and half of butter(25 g)on top of it.Roll and make strudel,but first roll the ends.Transfer on …..bit greased baking tray and brush with egg mixed with milk.
5)Bake on 160 C – 170 C until nice and gold.
PS.Better when you cut it next day.
Leave a Review
This is the best apple strudel I make it.It is really delicious and yummy,but don’t squeeze the apple.And the dough is perfect.