Rated 4.94 out of 5 based on 8 votes
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 3 x rashers of vegan bacon, chopped
- 1 x large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x carrot chopped
- 1 x stick celery, chopped
- 1/2 kg vegan mince
- 1 x glass red wine
- 1 x tin (400gr) chopped tomatoes
- 1 x dried bay leaf
- 1/2 x pack dried spaghetti
- 3 tspn salt
- 2 tspn freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbls nutritional yeast flakes (as a parmesan substitute)
- 1 handful fresh basil
• Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan and fry the vegan bacon until golden over a medium heat. Remove from the heat and set aside.
• Heat some more oil and add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic, frying until softened. Increase the heat and add the chopped tomatoes and bay leaf. Pour in the wine and boil until it has reduced in volume by about a third.
• Cover with a lid and simmer over a gentle heat for ½ hour until it is rich and thickened, stirring occasionally.
• Just before you remove the sauce from the heat, add the vegan mince and fried vegan bacon bits. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well and once all heated through your Bolognese sauce is ready.
• Cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling salted water. Drain and divide between plates. Sprinkle a little nutritional yeast flakes over the pasta before adding a good ladleful of the sauce. Finish with a further scattering of fresh basil leaves and a twist of black pepper.
Leave a Review
Thank you! It is also a lifesaver when you don’t have time. The sauce bit can always come out of a jar
Almost like my recipe
I’d like to see your recipe too
Oh thats easy … I also add fresh garlic, majoran, pimentos, passata tomato, a pinch of sugar and instead of wine, vegan beef stock. But sometimes, when I am in the mood, I also add a bit of redwine
That sounds great! I might do it your way next time
Great recipe, great photo.
Thank you. It’s nice to hear that
Who doesn’t love a good bolognaise